Thursday, January 20, 2011

Desert Cliffs Fitness Spa

I have participated in this wonderful program at Desert Cliffs Fitness Spa to help me loose weight and change my lifestyle and mindset & to motivate me to live a healthier lifestyle.
Well, of course on the day that I start the program it snows more than St. George has seen in a long time. The ladies that I spent the week with were from Alabama, Florida and California. Two of the ladies had been there before a year ago and wanted to start their year off with Desert Cliffs again, so they also brought more friends. They were awesome.
We weighed and measured on Sunday evening, had dinner together and bonded.
The 3 meals are on a 1200 calorie scale, you would never know it, there is so much food and it was so delicious. I didn't know that healthy food could be so delicious. I didn't even finish my first few meals, but with the workouts taking so much out of me, I needed to find a way to finish all of the food so I would have energy.
Here we are on the first morning on our way to the gym. Of course NO MAKEUP because we all knew that we were going to sweat it all off.

After the class at the gym we were picked up for our 4 mile hike, in the snow. I actually survived and am NOT a hiker, but boy was it beautiful. I was a little too bundled because I didn't know what to expect. A frozen pond just confirmed to me that it was going to be COLD!!! We climbed rocks in the snow and kept getting higher and higher. And higher!!! This is what we saw at the top. I always loved the BIG RED MOUNTAIN, but with snow on it was another site to see. It was absolutely gorgeous!!! The hike was amazing, and if I could do it, anyone could do it. I was so proud of myself, cause I am NOT a hiker. Then we made our way back in the snow to the van. Then we went back to the house and ate another healthy lunch and had orientation. There were 3 more exercise classes to follow the orientation.BOY, my body was being pushed to it's limit.

I honestly felt like I was on "THE BIGGEST LOSER".

The next day we hiked to see the petroglyphs, the Anasazi Trail. It was a little trickier hike, but it was beautiful and so fun to see everything from the top.

There was still snow from the day before, so we had to be very careful.
So of course, we all gave each other a hand and helped each other get through the tricky spots. It was so cool to be with this group of ladies, you just bond together and everybody is doing it together.
After the hike, we went back to the house and the cook, Kim taught us how to make certain things so that when we get home we could do the food part of the lifestyle change.
Here we made wontons stuffed with vegetables and chicken. DELICIOUS!!!!
The next day we hiked the Tower Hill in Bloomington. Check out the incline, it gets higher and higher with every step. It's about a half mile up to the towers and BOY does it burn and give you a workout that it unbelievable.
It totally kicked my butt!!! I had to stop a few times because of my knee and ALSO to catch my breath. One day, I will run up it and run down, but until then-I will continue to crawl up it.
You can kind of see the trail up to the towers.
The next day we rapelled. I was scared to death!!!!! I had NEVER done anything like that before.
Here we are praying that we make it!!! Cute picture, but I really was praying!!
Here I am, I went second-I knew if I didn't go, I would talk myself out of it.
They wanted me to smile and say cheese for the camera. "Are you serious, I am going to fall"
Here is a shot after I got down of the cliff that we were on.

Incredible experience!!! The whole week was incredible.
Very emotional transformation on Monday and Tuesday and then the rest of the week is just EMPOWERING. Very incredible program that helps change you from the inside out.
I am now down 10 pounds and 17inches total.
I will continue to incorporate all that I learned into my lifestyle. I love the way I feel and my mindset about food and exercise is sooo different.
I totally believe in myself and I know that I am going to conquer this whole weightloss battle.
I will keep you posted.
(Thanks Chelsey for the idea to post your weightloss on your blog. That is accountability.)

4 comments:

Cindy said...

What a beautiful family you have Tonya!!! And what a fun post about the spa!! We miss you!! Come hike with us again. I hope your knee is getting better!!!

Marion said...

Reading about all the hikes made me tired. What a great way to start your year off.

I also love that your New Year's tradition is still going strong!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

Keep it up girl! That is amazing!

Ammie said...

Way to go Tonya! What an inspiration you are. I am so proud of you! Good luck on your journey
{{HUGS!}}