Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thankfulness in my HEART

At this time of year, it's so nice to sit a reflect on the things that you are most grateful for. They seem to change and become less materialistic, the older I get. I remember when I was young and would always ask my mom, "What do you want for your birthday or Christmas or mother's day?" and she would reply the same exact thing EVERY YEAR, "I just want a HAPPY family." We would laugh and tell her, you're not getting that, so go with something materialistic, it's easier. Now as I am a mother, I feel that same way. I tell my kids, "I just want a happy family, and continue to be as close as we are today, ALWAYS!!!" SO that is how I am starting off my grateful list:
1. I am grateful for the closeness and friendship that my husband and I have with our children. I get sad thinking about next year when our household will change when Cambria leaves for school. I totally remember when my brother, Clay left on his mission. Our household was NEVER the same. We all never lived in the same house again and we all grew up and went our separate ways. It makes me sad not to have ALL of my children under the same roof. I am just glad that I have such a great friendship with my children.

2. I am grateful for my BEST FRIEND and High School Sweetheart, Bryan. He is an amazing man who supports me in everything, NO MATTER what I am involved in (and that's alot sometimes). I love how he puts me in CHECK, every now and then and makes me think about certain things, and see things from another point of view, instead of just mine. I love how he ALWAYS puts me and the kids first. He will do WHATEVER it takes to support us and be there for us. I love how he calls me "BEAUTIFUL" all the time (except for when we are around people or in public). He acts like that's my name. I'm glad that he thinks that, but I know that other's don't so I always tell him to not call me that in public. I love how my heart still skips a beat when I know he just got home from work or when he calls me. I just love him and am so glad that he's mine for eternity.

3. I am grateful for the person that I am because of the two people who raised me in such a loving home with such an importance in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love my wonderful parents so much. When I was younger, I never wanted to move out of the house. I finally moved out when I got married at 21. On my honeymoon night, I cried and cried and cried (ask Bryan) I wanted to go home. So I called my mom and dad and cried on the phone. My dad told me to CLEAVE unto your husband and let him hold you while you cry. I did NOT want to hear that, I wanted to come home, to me it felt like a long date and I was ready for it to be over. It was just the inital shock of leaving the two people that I loved more than life itself to start a new life. I was scared and wanted my mom and dad. I love their example that they set for me as a happily married couple. I love my mom and dad sooo much. Thank you for the wonderful childhood that you blessed me with.

4. I am grateful for the wonderful gospel that I have been raised in and that I continue to raise my children in. WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT IT? I hate to think about it, you can pretty much look at others around and see what it would be like. I love the wonderful feeling that it brings to me everyday. I love seeing my testimony stregthen by the new things I learn and the people and examples around me. I love my Savior Jesus Christ and the sacrifice that he made for ME, Tonya Horlacher and the example that he set for me.

5. I am so grateful for the friendships that I have with my brothers and sisters. Who needs friends when you have siblings. They should be the ones that we call when we have something wonderful to share or something to cry about or when you just need a hug. I love the feeling that I get when I see one of my brothers or sisters around town and I bump into them. I love the hugs & kisses that we greet each other with everytime we see each other. I love the laughter that we share when we are all together, reminessing about old times. I love that because of our close friendships with each other, it has gone onto the next generation, our children, and they all LOVE each other so much and have such a great friendship. I love family and I love my brothers and sisters and their great examples to me.

I will continue when I have more time.

1 comment:

Madison Matthews said...

Wow, what great things to be grateful for. You always amaze me. It is awesome that we have the same blog background. I guess that I am just trying to follow a great mind.
steph