Tuesday, March 15, 2011

8.9 and Tsunami



Friday morning, 6:00am I was awoken by a phonecall from my husband. He works at 2:00am and he had been listening to the radio and heard the news. He told me over the phone, "Tonya-there was an 8.9 earthquake that hit Japan last night" (OH MY GOODNESS, I grew up in California so I know that that's HUGE. I don't think any of the earthquakes that I had witnessed were that big.) Then he proceded to tell me the other news, "The earthquake has triggered a Tsunami and it is headed right for Hawaii." My heart just dropped, but then I thought, didn't we just have a scare not too long ago about a Tsunami? So I dropped on my knees and prayed for my family, a missionary from our ward that just went to Hawaii, and especially those in Japan I knew that I couldn't do anything else but to pray. I felt such a peace come over me that everything was going to be OK. I then called the missionaries family, whom I am very close to so I didn't mind waking them up at 6:00am. I then called my cousin King, he answered and I asked him how everyone was. He said, "We are on top of Temple Hill overlooking the Laie Temple and the lights from the temple are shining up on us, it feels like HEavenly Father is watching over us. The kids think this is a giant party and sleepover again, but they are settling down and starting to fall asleep. There are hundreds of people up here." So then I asked him, "When is the Tsunami expected to hit?" He says with such a calm voice, "In ten minutes", my heart drops again. I hung up and got on my knees again and prayed for more protection for them and the little island.
Heavenly Father most definately heard the prayers of the polynesian people to please protect them again from harms way. My family and all others were safe. Just another testimony building experience for all, that Heavenly Father knows us and hears our prayers.




No comments: