Friday, May 14, 2010

Goodbye Grandma Horlacher

We have been truly blessed to have spent some most memorable time with Grandma Horlacher during the past 6 months. She went home to our Heavenly Father on Monday, May 10th at 1:00am the day after Mother's Day. We as a family had the opportunity to see her on Mother's Day. We knew that she didn't have much longer so I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to say their goodbyes to her and love her one last time here on earth. She went into a coma on Tuesday of that week and the hospice nurse kept thinking she would go soon, well Sunday on Mother's Day rolls around and she is still around. So the nurse started thinking, "Is she waiting for someone or something?" So I remembered that last time we were there, she always would ask, "Are you coming back?" I told her, "Yes grandma we will be back." Well, that's when I started thinking, I have got to get my family over there and keep my word. We were able to spend a couple hours there with Bryan's parents and I asked Bryan's dad to please tell my kids some stories about grandma when he was a little boy. Then we sang some Primary songs and Hymns. I could tell that she was enjoying it, by a few little flutters here and there with certain songs we would sing. I was so proud of my kids and the compassion that they showed for their great grandma who was 103 years old. I am soo grateful for the opportunity to be there with her. I am so grateful for the son that she raised, my father-in--law and the son that he raised, my husband. Because they are who they are, because of her.




3 comments:

Bridget said...

What a beautiful tribute, Tonya. It was wonderful that you were able to go back and say goodbye. She was waiting for you so she could be with you one last time on Earth. Lovely.

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

I am always so touched by your words and your strong sense of family!!

mama donk aubri jo said...

Wow, 103, I bet she lived an amazing life, what a neat experience for your kids to hear stories about where they came from and spend time with her one last time.