Monday, March 15, 2010

In Support of Our Scout Leader



This week Trevor's scout Leader and our friend, James Evans dad passed away. Being the Compassionate Service Leader in my ward I arranged a BIG meal to be brought into the family of 5 Lasagna's, 3 Salads, Lots of Garlic Bread and then I wanted to have dessert and wanted to have James' scouts help out with that. James is their scout leader and a wonderful leader to these boys. So I asked them if they would mind making some cookies to take over to James' house for dessert and then if they wanted to show support for James' meet at our home at 6:00pm in their scout uniforms and we would go over to the viewing. We had ALL of the boys except for one show up with cookies and fully dressed in uniform. It was awesome to see them all come into the funeral home and to see the look on the faces of the family. The boys were such gentlemen and it was such a good experience for them. Bryan and the Bishop drove the boys over to the viewing and spoke to them about showing respect and reverence and exactly what a viewing is all about. They were so cute to watch.

2 comments:

Madison Matthews said...

Tonya--forgive me. I didn't realize that my son was to make a dessert and take it to the Evans. We are so new at this and apparantly we don't communicate well. He felt bad for not having a scout uniform as it was. So SO Sorry.
Steph

Madison Matthews said...

So...I just read your blog post. I will make sure that Davis does not hear of this post. He already felt so bad about being in scouts less than a week and not having a scout uniform. This whole thing is new to him, and as you are aware, scouting is a very difficult thing for our family. It is things like this that make it just a little bit more difficult. So with that being said, I am sure that you must have been talking about the big kid with the goatee that was not in uniform. I am sure that you would not have singled out the newest scout member that was just put in the deacons quorum just 2 days prior to the funeral.
Fafati,
Chris